Syria set to be axed from OIC

Syria is on the verge of being expelled from the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) following the failure of its President Bashar Assad to end the bloodshed in the country.

The recommendation to expel Syria was taken at a preparatory meeting of senior officials of the 57-member organisation in Jeddah on Sunday.

The meeting, which was chaired by Saudi Foreign Ministry director-general Muhammad Ahmed Tayeb, lasted nearly 12 hours.

However, Syria officials were not invited to the meeting which preceded the two-day OIC Fourth Extraordinary Summit starting today.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is taking part in the summit.

The summit, the fourth since the OIC’s inception in 1969, was convened on the order of King Abdullah Abdul Aziz, custodian of the two Holy Mosques to discuss the current situation facing the Muslim world.

Among the issues are the situation in Syria and the crisis in Myanmar caused by the persecution of the Muslim Rohingya people of the Arakan region.

The highly significant recommendation was to be presented to the OIC foreign ministers at their meeting last night.

“Their decision will be final,” reported, an online and wireless financial content provider.

Syria’s expulsion will mark Assad’s total isolation in the Muslim world after the 22-member Arab League expelled the country in November during its emergency session in Cairo.

On the issue of the Rohingya Muslims, there was a call for strong condemnation and rapid action to address the situation.

Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and Bangladesh however suggested a policy of engagement with Myanmar.

The Asian nations felt that since the Myanmar government had indicated full cooperation with OIC, it should be given a chance to come good on its promise of delivering justice and bringing the murderers to book, quoted an Asian diplomat as saying.

A communique will be issued at the end of the meeting.

Meanwhile, Najib and Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor performed the umrah early yesterday. The Prime Minister and his wife had arrived here shortly after midnight on Sunday.

Source: The Star

This entry was posted in Article & News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>